I deal with a large amount of benefit-related casework in the Wycombe constituency office and I always hope that benefits are swiftly and accurately paid to avoid people taking on debt. With the introduction of Universal Credit, I have taken the opportunity to write to the Minister to raise particular points about the system on behalf of my constituents, namely:
- Accurate calculations of Universal Credit
- Whether Universal Credit can be paid immediately after the assessment
- Personal Budgeting Support
- The use of Universal Credit Advances
- The impact of Universal Credit on the local private rented housing sector.
I am confident that Universal Credit will effectively work for many claimants but I want to be assured that in the event of unforeseen issues, the DWP can intervene positive, quickly and effectively. I look forward to the Minister’s response on this important issue.