Unashamedly inspired by John Redwood’s “12 things I would like the government to cancel for christmas”.
- Begin fundamental reform of the EU: ensure our self-determination, liberty and competitiveness. That beginning is a failure to ratify the Lisbon Treaty.
- Develop a sustainable energy policy: protect the environment and safeguard society from shortages of fossil fuels.
- Scrap ID cards: protect the public by collecting less data and correctly implementing the basics of information security.
- Restore the public finances to a sustainable state.
- Simplify the tax code.
- Accept variation in outcomes: decentralise.
- Stop paying consultants to do the work of civil servants.
- Scrap regional government: assemblies and development agencies.
- Determinedly eliminate QUANGOs.
- Develop a formal Constitution for the United Kingdom which restores our protections from the state, which will reveal future constitutional changes and which introduces a limited system of direct democracy to boost democratic engagement.
I’d love to propose banning ketchup sachets but we are beyond frivolity.