I was pleased to see the Government outline the NHS Long Term Plan, an historic moment for patients in Wycombe and across the country, which will protect the health service now and for generations to come, ensuring the NHS is always there for you and your family.
Thanks to the Government’s investment of £20.5 billion a year in real terms by 2023-24, the Long Term Plan will transform patient care and seek to ensure every penny of taxpayer’s money is spent wisely.
There will be a new focus on prevention, with £4.5 billion being invested in GP services and community care. From birth, throughout life and into old age, the NHS Long Term Plan will ensure the NHS is:
- Providing the best maternity care in the world – Ensuring every baby gets the best start in life by continuing to improve maternity safety and providing greater mental health support to new parents.
- Supporting ageing and increasing independence – Helping people to age well by bringing different health and care teams together to make sure older people get the support they need to remain independent, avoiding unnecessary hospital admissions.
- Improving outcomes for all major conditions – Through better prevention, detection, treatment and recovery from serious diseases, we will improve health outcomes so people live longer and healthier.
- Increasing the NHS workforce – Improving access to mental health, primary care and community services, with tens of thousands more doctors, nurses and other health professionals.
- Bringing the NHS into the digital age – Rolling out new digital technologies to deliver improved access to the NHS.
In Wycombe, all this comes following the welcome news of the opening of the new Urgent Treatment Centre, offering a range of diagnostic facilities as well as 24 hour access to a GP, a new state-of-the-art catheter laboratory and the announcement that Scannappeal is currently working with the Hospital Trust to fundraise for a new MRI scanner which will hopefully be installed at Wycombe Hospital in summer 2019. The scanner is so advanced it will be one the first of its kind in any European hospital.
I know our Hospital and NHS will continue to provide the best care for local people.