Conservatives for Britain is a group of Conservative Party members who:
- Consider the UK’s present relationship with the EU to be untenable,
- Take an optimistic, globalist view of the UK’s future,
- Support the Party’s policy of renegotiation and referendum based on the Wharton Bill franchise and question,
- Wish to explore what objectives the negotiations must achieve to ensure that they meet the PM’s objective, “to reform the EU and fundamentally change Britain’s relationship with it” (PM, Hansard, Col 1122, 23 March 2015), and
- Will discuss how to prepare for a possible “out” campaign, to be activated if it is apparent that negotiations will not achieve the objectives.
After a number of meetings in Parliament this session, we launched today with my comment piece in The Sunday Telegraph:
Conservatives for Britain has been formed among Tory parliamentarians to discuss the criteria by which to judge the Government’s EU renegotiation. We are willing to consider how to prepare for an “out” campaign if, lamentably, the European Union establishment will not allow the UK a new relationship of trade and co-operation.
David Cameron has been spectacularly successful in Europe. No other Prime Minister has secured a cut in the European Union budget.
David Cameron kept us out of a centralising EU fiscal treaty and took our country out of the Eurozone bailouts, arguably the first ever return of powers from Brussels.
Conservatives have confidence in the Government¹s capacity to renegotiate our membership of the European Union before the British people take the decision to remain or leave.
As Mr Cameron said in his Bloomberg speech, “We have the character of an Island nation – independent, forthright, passionate in defence of our sovereignty.”
That is the fundamental issue. We are an outward-looking, free trading nation which feels acutely the lack of democratic consent for European supranational government.
Read the rest of the article: Conservatives will stand up for Britain if the EU lets us down.
My predecessor, Paul Goodman, has given A warm welcome to Conservatives for Britain.